Thursday 13 July 2017

TRNSMT Festival 2017...Saturday!!!

This year a new Festival hit Scotland, TRNSMT Festival, not to replace as such but to fill the gap of T in the Park, after it was sadly announced it wouldn't be on this year. It's future is still in the limbo but TRNSMT Festival had a similar line up to what you would expect from T in the park but on a smaller scale and with no camping facilities as it is in quite a central location in the city of Glasgow. T in the park always has one of the best line ups in my opinion and after working the Festival a few years back I have always wanted to go back, but for some reason or another I hadn't had chance to go again. So when I heard about TRNSMT and saw the line up I was really interested in going and thought it might make a nice change having a hotel and a proper bed to sleep in at a Festival. We did already have tickets for Blossoms at Castlefield Bowl that weekend but as Blossoms were playing, aswell as many of our favourite bands, we decided we'd make a weekend of it and hit Glasgow.







Although the Festival was on for 3 days we decided to just go for two, the Saturday and Sunday, as the Friday was quite a mellow day and the headliners were Radiohead who we are not a fan of. We still decided to travel down on the Friday and spend the day exploring the city. After a delay with our flight we arrived later than planned but still had plenty of time to walk around and get a feel of the place. I'd never been to Glasgow before so was surprised how big the city was, it was also very hilly, I think I worked up some muscles over the weekend. We had a wander around the shops then came back and got ready to go out for some food. After a super early morning we had a sensible night and headed back after our meal so we were nice and refreshed for the first day of the Festival!


Saturday and day one of the Festival for us, we had an earlyish start with bands starting around 1pm but as usual we were late and couldn't stick to our planned schedule. It's hard to stick to one when you have to cover yourself in glitter!! My outfit for the day was very sparkly and very rainbowy. The main event was the most amazing rainbow sequin kimono from Jaded London that I'd had my eye on since they first started putting previews on their instagram. It's a long maxi style in a black mesh with oversized rainbow holographic sequins all over it. Surprisingly the sun was out in sunny Scotland so it sparkled so much in the sun. 







Underneath I went for more rainbow sequins with a halterneck playsuit from Pretty Little Thing. It was hard to pack as we only had hand luggage and I didn't fancy wearing wellies all weekend so I decided to take a risk and wear my holographic platform sandals. This may seem a silly choice but my logic was they are platform so comfy, they gave me a bit of height (which I needed with the kimono) and they wiped clean, oh and they're rainbow of course! I wore some glittery socks and carried on with the rainbow theme with my absolute fave Bombshell glitter earrings and a pompom headband Alice made me for my Birthday which I absolutely love! You can't really see as it's camouflaged but but I also wore my skinnydip rainbow sequin bumbag which matches the playsuit and my sequin backpack, you can never have enough rainbows or sequins right?! 




For my face I went for a central stick on headpiece from Topshop then worked around that adding glitter and some extra gems, I went for a glitter tears look with matching glitters to the gems. I also wore glitter on my eyes and glitter lips, most of the glitter is from eBay and craft shops which I find are super cheap in comparison to some websites that sell glitters.


Rainbow sequin Kimono - Jaded London
Sequin Playsuit - Pretty Little Thing
Rainbow XL earrings - No Basic Bombshell
Platform sandals - YRU
Socks - New Look
Pompom headband - Made by my friend Alice
Sequin bumbag - Skinnydip London 
Sequin backpack - Skinnydip London 
Headpiece gems - Topshop
Gems/Glitter - EBay/craft shops



When we finally got to the Festival site which was only a short taxi ride from our hotel we had missed a couple of bands, we had to go to the box office collection as our tickets had been lost in the post which is our typical luck. The box office however seemed to know nothing about this and as seetickets were closed all weekend it was touch and go for ten minutes or so wether we'd even get in the Festival. Luckily we were given guest tickets and VIP wristbands and allowed in just in time for Stormzy. It was actually a blessing in disguise as we had access to the VIP area, which was needed as the standard bar and toilet queues were huge and we spoke to a lot of people who said they'd queued for over an hour just for a drink. I'm not a massive Grime/R&B fan but there are a few artists in that genre I do like and I've really got into Stormzy the last couple of months so was excited to see him. He seems like such a nice guy from what I've seen of him in the media aswell, he played a really energetic set with a huge crowd with everyone jumping up and down and singing along. 









We then watched The Kooks which was a real throwback treat, kinda made me feel old as it's been so long since they first released an album and I was there first time around for that. They played a great set full of classic bangers with a few new ones thrown in. Lead singer Luke looked exactly the same as he did ten years ago, making me feel even older!! After that we had a little wander to the other end of the site where the Jack Rocks stage was, it was quite a walk from the other two stages so we didn't really make our way down there again as we just didn't have time to go from stage to stage and most of the acts we wanted to see were on the main stage with a couple over on the kings tut stage. They had a free photo booth at the Jack rocks stage which of course we had to take advantage of, typically it was in black and white so you can't see our sparkly rainbowness in all its glory. We caugh a bit of Neon Waltz in that tent then headed back up to the other stages.








We watched some of Sundara Karma on the king tuts stage, unfortunately they did clash so we couldn't stay for the whole set. I've absolutely loved them this last year or so and really enjoyed what we saw of the set. One thing that was good about this Festival, although there were clashes they weren't as major as they usually are at Festivals, especially as there was only 3 stages and I think a small Dj tent, but we didn't make it to that. Also there were only headliners on the main stage so they didn't clash with anyone, great if you like the headliner maybe not so much if you don't, but we went for the headliners so were pleased on this occasion. 






Part way through the set we headed to the main stage ready for Catfish and the Bottlemen, one of my absolute favourite bands of the last fews years. They always have a great energy live and the crowd always goes mental, it was definitely one of the busiest crowds of the weekend with extra security down the front area stopping people from overcrowding, which was quite annoying as we couldn't get as close as we'd of liked. I still absolutely loved it and it was a massive singalong as always.








Headlining and ending the Saturday of the Festival was Kasabian, literally one of my fave bands ever and one of the main reasons I wanted to go to the Festival. I have been a fan of them for years and they're without a doubt one of the best live bands in the world. Their live shows are always amazing and although most of the time I'm pretty drunk when I see them (this being no exception) I always have the most amazing time and just want to watch them all over again. Scottish crowds are known for being rowdy so it was an energetic set from both sides, filled with classic tracks and newer songs, all of which went down a treat. It was a perfect end to the first day of the Festival and although there were rumours that Arctic Monkeys were going to end the night with a secret set which would've been fab, it really didn't matter as it ended on a high and was a great day. We ended our night by going to the Cathouse club in the city which was really fun, but rather hazy after a full day/night of drinking!!




No comments:

Post a Comment