Wednesday 7 September 2016

Leeds Festival 2016... Day Two!!!

Saturday and day two of the festival, again we had a few bands we were gonna try and catch early on but as usual we were behind schedule. Festival make up sure does take longer than my usual make up routine. I went for a floral/glitter face tattoo that I cut to size so I could put it on both sides of my face, I added some stick on gems inbetween the gaps to add some extra sparkle. I also wore a bindi and an assortment of glitters under and on my eyes and glittery lips. I went all out with the sparkle for this festival and wore sparkly outfits everyday. I wore a zigzag sparkly rainbow dress with beaded neck detail. Again wellies were a must as the mud was still awful, my sequin bumbag and pompom headband. I wore my fab tinsel earrings that matched the dress perfectly and a chain/feather clip in piece in my hair.








Dress - Glamorous @ Asos
Pompom headband - Primark
Wellies - Topshop
Bumbag - Skinnydip London
Chain/feather clip in - New Look
Tinsel earrings - Topshop
Glitter - Ebay
Face tattoo - Claire's Accessories
Bindi - A stall at the festival 





We spotted a Festicket photo booth on our way to the main stage and it was free, winner! We love a good photo booth and they had props you could use, we could all print a copy and you could share to social media or email it as a picture or a gif, I did email it but it didn't actually come through for this one. But we do still have a great physical snap to keep!


The first band we actually managed to see were 'Lower Than Atlantis' on the main stage. They're a band I really love so I was really looking forward to seeing them, they played a great set although it was all tracks from their most recent album apart from new track 'Work for it'. It would of been nice to hear some older tracks but it is hard to squeeze everything into a half hour set. They were all great singalong tracks so perfect for a festival set. I'm really looking forward to their upcoming new album and I'm hoping to catch them on tour early next year too. 


We then headed down to the new little area of the festival to the Jack rocks tent to watch 'The Jackobins'. I've tried to see them a few times this year but have never managed due to clashes etc, so it was great to finally get to see them. They did a great set and had a great energy jumping around the stage, even though there was a only a small crowd they were really enthusiastic and kept the crowd engaged. 


Due to Fetty wap cancelling the stage times changed and left us floating about for a bit so we ended up catching the end of 'Die Antwoord' on the main stage. They really are an odd group and I'm not sure I really get them, but I guess I've never really given myself a chance to get into them, but they were fascinating to watch and I kind of wish I'd seen a bit more to see what they're all about. After that were grime collective 'Boy Better Know' I've never really been massively into them as its not really my scene, but I do know some tracks by Skepta and Jme so thought I'd maybe know some of the songs. Surprisingly I knew more than I thought and we all actually really enjoyed the set. It was definitely one of the biggest crowds of the weekend and everyone was jumping around going crazy especially to skepta tracks 'That's not me' and 'Shutdown' and Solo 45's 'Feed em to the lions'. Wiley came out for a track too, it was surprising to see him as he's cancelled everytime I've ever been at anything he's supposed to be at. It was surprisingly a highlight and I guess what festivals are all about and it goes to show you could enjoy someone you'd never have usually gone to see. So it is good to step outside your comfort zone sometimes and try something new. 


We did have to leave just before the end of 'BBK' to watch 'The Sherlocks' at the festival republic stage. They're a band I've seen a lot of times this year and really like. They're a proper indie jump around band and always have a feel good vibe. As soon as they started the crowd went off and there were coloured smoke bombs/flares all over the tent, which actually looked quite pretty when all the colours were in the air. It was a great set as usual, I just wish they would hurry up and release an album already!!



The heavens opened again so we had to run across to the pit for 'Hacktivist'. They're a band we saw earlier in the years at 2Q festival, another band we accidentally saw and loved, so I was looking forward to seeing them again as I have listened to their album a lot since then and really like it. The tent was absolutely rammed and we could barely get in so it was hard to see, but they played a great set and the crowd went pretty wild. 


We then headed over to the main stage to catch the last bit of 'Chrvches'. I wish we could've seen more as I really like them, but clashes ruined our life and to be honest the weather did keep us in the tents for as long as possible. We did manage to catch a few tracks though which sounded great live and singer Lauren looked great in a tulle skirt, leather jacket and Dr Martens.


We then headed to the dance stage for 'Alunageorge' which was also packed, I'm not sure if that was due to the weather or popularity. I really like them and haven't seen them for a couple of years so was looking forward to seeing them. I was a little disappointed as they seemed to play alot of new songs and slower tracks which wasn't really the vibe we were after when we were soaking wet and needed a energy lift. They still sounded great but it just wasn't the right setlist for a festival, especially one with a very wet and miserable crowd. 

We did have to leave partway through the set and the rain was not giving up so we had to endure joint headliners 'Foals' set in constant heavy rain. I was meant to see them earlier in the year at Rock am ring but as that didn't happened due to it being cancelled I was really eager to see them again. We got pretty close to the front but at the side of the stage and even though the weather was terrible they still had a huge crowd. The setlist was great with a good mix of old and new and their energy was on top form. Yannis is a great frontman and really owns the stage getting into the crowd several times during the set. I think I must've been the wettest I've been at a festival in a very long time but I still enjoyed the set and we managed to keep our spirits up singing along and dancing. 



I was really glad the way the joint headliners played as it meant I got to see the pit headliners 'Asking Alexandria' aswell. I would've liked to have seen 'Disclosure' but I've seen them a few times so didn't mind missing them. I was a little dubious about seeing 'Asking Alexandria' live with new singer Denis as I was so gutted when Danny left. But I do love the new album and as Danny couldn't sing/scream some of the older tracks like he used to due to a vocal injury, I thought maybe Denis would be able to do them justice, especially as his old bands had often been compared to 'AA'. They came on with 'I won't give in' from new album 'The Black' which sounded great live. Followed by a mix of older and new tracks, I was really pleasantly surprised by Denis, he sounded great on all of the tracks and although I thought it would be weird him singing the older songs it really wasn't, he's a great frontman and it does really work. Unfortunately Ben wasn't there as he had just had a baby, it was a shame he wasn't there but they still sounded great and I really enjoyed the set, and it gave us time to dry off a bit in the tent which was much needed. 


We went over to the alternative stage where electronic duo 'Honne' were playing, I'd never actually heard of them before but I actually knew quite a few of their songs from coming on the playlist at work. They had a live band and have a chilled out soulful vibe which was really to nice to wind down to. After hours of constant rain and being soaked from head to toe we decided to head back for the night and get some rest, I think we're getting too old to party till the early hours at a festival!!

No comments:

Post a Comment