Saturday 3 September 2016

Leeds Festival 2016.... Day One!!!!


Last weekend it was time for one of my fave events of the year and a yearly traditional for me, Leeds Festival! I don't know where the year has gone it's flew by so fast and Leeds officially marks the end of summer/festival season for me. Alice and I didn't have our usual festival squad this year but we did have a new recruit with our blogger pal Rachel camping with us. The weather was awful on Thursday as it usually is for arrival so it was a bit of a write off, so we sat in the tent and chilled and made our tent all pretty. We did venture out for a couple of hours in the evening to watch 'Blood Red Shoes' but as the constant downpour wasn't giving up we called it a night and got some sleep ready for the first proper day!



Friday and officially day one of the festival, and a busy one it was. For day one I went for a Motel Rocks rainbow sequin dress, the mud was awful as soon as we got there so I had to stay in my wellies all weekend. I wore a sequin bumbag which actually looks camouflaged against the dress so you can't really see it, and a Rainbow backpack. I wore a pink pompom headband and lots of glitter with my make up look, with rainbow eyes/glitter and a stick on headpiece/bindi and glittery lips. Finished off with a pink tattoo choker and the best long glittery tinsel earrings Alice picked up for me, which I think are my fave earrings ever!!






Sequin dress - Motel Rocks
Wellies - Topshop
Sequin bumbag - Skinnydip London
Rainbow Backpack - Aliexpress
Rainbow sunglasses - Primark
Pompom headband - Primark
Tattoo choker - Claire's accessories 
Tinsel earrings - Topshop
Glitter - Ebay
Stick on headpiece/bindi - Ebay




As with most festivals there's always loads of clashes but Leeds always has the most as there's always so many great bands on the line up. As usual we were later than planned but managed to get down to the arena in time for 'Spring King'. I saw them earlier in the year and loved them and they were just as good here, with a big crowd to say it was a pretty early start. They were so buzzing with the crowds reaction and it was really nice to hear the excitement in their voices and to see how grateful they were for the support. After that I had to decide between 'Deaf Havana' and 'Sleeping with sirens' I absolutely love both bands so it was a toughie but I decided to go with 'sws' as I'm hoping 'Deaf Havana' will tour soon as they have new music on the way. They played a lively set with lots of my fave tracks, lead singer Kellin did apologise early on and say his voice was pretty much gone, but they still sounded great. Obviously due to the tone of his voice and the high notes in most songs you could see he was struggling but they still put on a great show and I enjoyed it regardless, good on him for still coming out and putting on the best show he could do. 



After that we headed over to the nme stage to watch 'Tonight Alive' I've liked them for ages but I'm not so keen on their newest album, I was hoping they'd play a lot of older tracks and although they did play a few most of the set was new songs. So we just sat outside the tent and chilled and watched from there. We then headed over to the main stage for 'A$ap Rocky' to then see 10 minutes after he was supposed to be on that he'd had to cancel, we was really disappointed as we'd really been looking forward to seeing him. So we rushed over to catch 'Raleigh Ritchie' I've liked him for a while now but never managed to catch him live. He had a packed out tent and sounded great, with a great energy jumping around and getting the crowd to join in. It was really good to finally get to see him live.



There was alot of overlapping so it was a case of running from stage to stage to try and catch as much as we could of each set. So we ran over to catch the rest of 'Rat Boy' I've seen him a few times now and his energy is always amazing and the crowd goes wild. He also had some kind of mascot dancing around on stage and in the pit in the form of a man in a boiler suit and a scary mask.




Then we watched 'Clean cut kid' another band I saw earlier in the year and was really impressed with. They look like a group of misfits but their unique sound really works and I can't wait for them to release more music. Then it was over to the main stage for 'The Vaccines' we stayed a bit further out and had a sit down, but still really enjoyed the set. Lead singer Justin's facial expressions always make me laugh he's so animated, but they always do a great set and ended with crowd faves to get everyone singing along.



We were planning on seeing Dma's but it took so long to try and get some food before that we ended up missing them, it did mean we ended up seeing all of joint headliners 'Fall out Boy's set. I'm kinda glad it worked out that way as they played alot of their best tracks at the start of the set. They had dancers on stage eating fire and spinning on circus type hoops and fireworks throughout which was quite a rarity for a Leeds set. We really enjoyed it, and it was so much better than I expected it to be, they played all the faves so it was a definite crowd pleasing set. There was also a gorgeous sunset which added a great backdrop for a lot of the set. 





There were a few bands playing that we could have ran over to catch but we wanted to get a good spot for our band of the weekend 'Biffy Clyro' so we decided to stay at the main stage and just wait. We were so excited to see them after going to Rock am ring to see them ealrier in the year then it being cancelled before they got to play. So it was very highly anticipated, and as their new album has been out for a bit now I was looking forward to hearing the new tracks live. They made a grand entrance with alot of dramatic music before bursting into 'Living is a problem because eveything dies', they followed with lots of classic tracks and singles such as 'The captain', 'who's got a match', 'That Golden rule' to name a few, aswell as a couple of older tracks and they actually played about six or seven songs from the new album. It was more than I expected them to play at a festival set but they sounded fantastic and were received as well as the older tracks. Simon Neil was looking as beautiful as ever with his luscious locks, that guy sure does have good hair! They ended the set with 'stingin belle' and lots of fireworks, it was a great set and I was so happy to finally see them again after their break. I have booked tickets for there tour in December and I really can't wait to see them again already!



The only disappointing thing was Biffy completely clashed with another of my favourite bands 'The 1975' so unfortunately I missed their set, but I guess that's festivals for you! We then headed over to the alternative stage as Thomas Turgoose aka Shaun from This is England was doing a dj set for propaganda. He was absolutely hilarious and kept saying he didn't have a clue what he was doing and had clearly been enjoying the festival all day before the set, as he was rather worse for wear. He played banger after banger though and had the crowd going with classic indie tracks. It was a fun way to end the night before we headed back for some well needed rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment