Tuesday 9 August 2016

Y Not Festival.... Day one!!!

So after having the most disastrous time at Rock am ring festival in June Alice and I decided we needed to go to Y not festival to make up for it. The disaster did have a silver lining though, our compensation money from our delayed flight paid for our tickets for Y not!! I'd also decided after years of my daughter Mia asking if she could come to festivals that she could finally come to one. I thought Y not was a good choice as it was close to home incase she really hated it and wanted to leave, I also thought it was small enough that it wouldn't be too overwhelming for her and I'd also heard it was quite family orientated. I'd never actually been before even though it's so close to where we live, so was excited to experience a new festival.

We got early entry tickets and went on the Thursday afternoon which was technically day one, but I'm going to do Thursday and Friday as my day one post as Friday is when it properly began. We got family camping which was right near where we got dropped off, so it made a nice change to not have to drag our stuff for miles and we got a nice big space to camp. By the time we'd set up and decorated our tent it was tea time so we wandered over to the main stage to watch 'Milburn' who were great. I really liked them back in the day but never saw them, so it was really good to see them live. It was Mia's first band at her first festival so she was in high spirits dancing around. 





After that 'The coral' played, I've always liked their songs but never been a huge fan so hadn't seen them before, but they were really good and there was a really good vibe. We had a little wander about and then called it a night, it was strange being responsible and having a fairly early night as we usually overdo it on the first night.  


So Friday and officialy day one, we spent that long messing about and getting ready we actually missed a couple of the bands we wanted to see. I did have to do mine and Mia's festival make up though so I blame it on that, not our rubbish timekeeping! I got the most amazing rainbow jumpsuit by Jaded London a couple of months ago and had wanted to wear it on my birthday at Rock am ring but as the weather was terrible I couldn't so I had to save it a little bit longer. The weather seemed dry and there was actually some sun so I seized my chance and finally wore it. It has a Halterneck and flare trouser, although there was too much material around the neck so I did have to move the buttons and shorten the legs as they were mega long. It is really low and as I don't really have much to fill the bust area I ended up temporarily putting a piece of elastic across the chest as I didn't fancy falling out of it all day. It did the trick and kept me in it all day and as it was black it went with the trim on the jumpsuit so didn't ruin the look of it. I wore my new clear jelly wellies, rainbow sequin bumbag and pom Pom headband, and of course lots of glitter/gems. 







Rainbow sequin jumpsuit - Jaded London @ Asos
Wellies - Primark
Rainbow sequin bumbag - Skinnydip London 
Rainbow choker - Made by Mia 
Pink tattoo choker - Claire's accesories 
Pom Pom headband - Primark
Bindi - Claire's accessories 
Glitter/gems - Ebay


We do often end up co-ordinating with our festival looks and Alice wore her rainbow sequin dress so we were walking rainbows! I wanted to make Mia look super festivaly too so got her this fab three piece set from River island that has a cute off the shoulder top, wide leg trousers and a kimono jacket. I wish it was adults because I absolutely love it! I did her some rainbow face paint and glitter of course!




Floral three piece - River Island
Wellies - Ebay
Sequin bumbag - Next
Rain Mac - Primark
Pom Pom headband - Primark
Face paint - Primark
Glitter/gems - Ebay




The first act we ended up seeing was 'Kloe' on the main stage, a young singer from Scotland, she had an electronic sound and a really great voice with fun pop songs and a great energy. 


We then headed over to the This feeling tent to watch 'Cupids' and 'Fronteers' two upcoming bands with great sounds. Cupids have the typical Manchester swagger and are a confident young band that I'm sure are set for big things.



We then headed over to the main stage to watch 'Kelis' to then see minutes after she was due on stage that she wasn't playing, no idea why but it was quite annoying as we'd been quite looking forward to getting our moves out to milkshake! So we had a wander around and then watched 'Everything eveything' who played a lively set with a big crowd.



After that we headed to The Quarry tent for 'Coasts' which was by far Mia's fave band of the weekend, she jumped around and went crazy for them! They have such a summery vibe and played a great setlist, with the whole crowd singing along and a jam packed tent it was definately one of my favourite sets of the weekend, even though I had to be bodyguard to Mia in the crowd!





After that we headed over to the main stage to catch the end of 'The Cribs' as the sun set which made a lovely photo opportunity. 




We then headed back to the Quarry for 'Dj Fresh' it was absolutely rammed with people outside of the tent and squashing to get in. It wasn't safe to try and get in with Mia so we just danced from outside. Everyone was going crazy and the lights outside were jumping around so much they had to be switched off and the set had to be ended early for safety as it was just too busy. It was a really small tent compared to other festivals so I do definitely think they should consider making the tents bigger in future, or atleast this stage as it had a lot of bigger acts on it. After that we went to the giant squid tent to watch 'Deap vally' those two girls really know how to make some noise and played a great hour long set. We had a little wander after that but as we were sensible humans with Mia we called it a night not long after. 



Day two of the festival to follow shortly!!

1 comment: